- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or as needed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 pinch ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage, removed from casings and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup peeled and chopped yellow potatoes, or more to taste
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat until the oil shimmers; cook and stir onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and black pepper until onion is translucent, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Mix sausage, basil, and paprika together in a bowl.
- Stir sausage mixture into onion mixture; cook and stir until sausage is browned and fully cooked, 5 to 10 minutes. Add chicken broth, kale, cannellini beans, and potatoes to sausage-onion mixture; lower heat to medium low. Cover stockpot and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
Almost Tuscan Sausage and Kale Soup, recipe