- 1 (1 pound) package bacon, diced
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups frozen Southern-style hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups small curd cottage cheese
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper, or to taste (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, or to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook and stir bacon and onion in a skillet over medium heat until the bacon is crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain grease, reserving the drippings.
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with the reserved bacon grease.
- Combine the cooked bacon and onion, eggs, hash brown potatoes, Cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, bell pepper, and green chilies in the prepared baking dish; stir to combine.
- Bake in preheated oven until the eggs are set firm, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let casserole cool 10 minutes before cutting to serve.
American Breakfast Casserole, recipe