- 1/2 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 apple - peeled, cored, and chopped
- 3/8 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/8 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, chilled
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/3 cup dry Marsala wine
- In a small bowl, mix flour, almonds, 1/2 cup sugar, and cinnamon together. Add chilled butter and vanilla extract. Cut together with a pastry blender until small crumbs form.
- Unfold pastry and cut into a 10 inch circle. Place on a large, ungreased baking sheet. Brush with melted butter or margarine. Arrange apples in the center of the pastry, leaving a 1/2 inch wide border of pastry. Spoon almond topping gently over the apples, being careful it doesn't spill over the edges of the pastry.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Place egg yolks and 3 tablespoons sugar in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Beat mixture constantly with a portable electric mixer. When foamy, add the marsala; continue to beat until the mixture begins to thicken. Do not overcook, or the mixture will curdle. Remove from heat. Serve warm over the apple crumble.
apple crumble tart, recipe