- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 pound smoked turkey sausage links, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix vegetable oil, egg, brown sugar, quick cooking oats, whole wheat flour, buttermilk, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Place apples and sausage in a medium baking dish or cast iron skillet. Pour the batter mixture over the apples and sausage.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until crisp and golden brown.
apple sausage wagon wheel, recipe