- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup dried apricots
- 1 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). In a medium bowl, mix together butter, sugar, and 1 cup flour. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven. In small saucepan, bring apricots and water to a boil, and cook for 10 minutes. Drain, chop, and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and brown sugar. Stir in 1/3 cup flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and lemon juice. Fold in nuts and chopped apricots. Stir in coconut, if desired. Pour over the prepared crust.
- Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm. Cool, and dust with confectioners' sugar before cutting into squares.
apricot-coconut squares, recipe