- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 ounces sliced bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/2 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can pigeon peas, with liquid
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, chopped
- Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Place bacon in the saucepan, and cook until evenly brown. Stir in onion and celery, and cook until tender. Mix in tomato, tomato paste, and ketchup. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low, and continue cooking about 15 minutes.
- Stir pigeon peas and their liquid, water, rice, and thyme into the saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Cook 40 minutes on low, or until all liquid is absorbed. Fluff rice with a fork.
Bahamian Style Peas and Rice, recipe