- 2 (2.5 pound) heads cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for topping
- 4 cloves peeled garlic, crushed fine
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- Cut cauliflower into medium-sized florets and process in batches in a food processor. For each batch, pulse until pieces break down and continue processing until texture resembles rice grains. Transfer to a large pot. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until mixture is wet and soft, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat if it begins to brown. Remove from heat and allow cauliflower to cool.
- Transfer cauliflower in batches to a clean cotton towel. Bring up sides, twist towel, and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. For this recipe, you should have about 3 1/2 cups cooked, squeezed-dry cauliflower.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a large rectangular baking dish with parchment paper, allowing ends to extend up over the sides for easy lifting. Lightly brush parchment with olive oil.
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add crushed garlic, oregano, pepper, and cayenne pepper; whisk together. Transfer cauliflower to mixing bowl. Add shredded Cheddar cheese and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Mix thoroughly. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Tamp down and smooth out evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven until deeply golden brown, about 1 hour. Allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, 3 or 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat; lightly oil the mat.
- Lift cauliflower out of pan. Slice in half lengthwise; slice each half crosswise into thin "fries," about 1 inch wide. Arrange fries on the mat so they do not touch; brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with a dusting of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until deeply browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Baked Cauliflower Fries, recipe