- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 (4 ounce) cube steaks
- 1 cup peanut or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pinch seasoned salt, or to taste
- 1 pinch garlic powder, or to taste
- 1 pinch black pepper, or to taste
- 2/3 cup finely diced onion
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans sliced mushrooms with juice
- 1/2 (10.75 ounce) can water, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x12 inch baking dish. Place flour in a shallow dish. Dredge steaks in the flour to coat evenly.
- Heat peanut oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the steaks for about 5 to 8 minutes per side, until golden brown.
- Place 3 fried cube steaks in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the steaks lightly with seasoned salt, garlic powder, and pepper, and scatter 1/3 cup of diced onions over the steaks. Layer the remaining 3 steaks on top, repeat the seasoning, and sprinkle with the rest of the onion.
- Pour the condensed soup in a bowl, and drain the juice from the canned mushrooms into the empty soup can. Pour in enough water to fill the can, and whisk the liquid and mushrooms into the soup. Pour the soup mixture over the layered steaks.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and bake for an additional 30 to 45 minutes, until the onions are tender and the gravy is thick and bubbling.
Baked Chicken-Fried Steak with Mushroom Gravy, recipe