- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 pounds cubed lamb stew meat
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic paste
- 5 (14.5 ounce) cans canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 cups boiling water
- 2 pounds frozen sliced okra
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, salt and black pepper; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned a light golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the lamb, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and garlic paste. Cook on medium heat until the lamb starts to brown, 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato paste; cook and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Dissolve the beef bouillon cubes in 4 cups of boiling water. Pour the broth into the pot with the lamb and stir in the okra. If necessary, add water to cover the okra. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and cook for another 45 minutes to 1 hour until the lamb is very tender and the stew reaches your desired thickness.
Bamieh (Middle Eastern Okra Stew), recipe