- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup liquid amino acid (such as Bragg®)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Cooking Broth:
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup tamari
- Stir vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, 1/2 cup vegetable broth, liquid amino acid, olive oil, and garlic in a bowl until ingredients come together into a ball. Knead ball until dough has a rubbery texture. Divide dough into 3 equal pieces and shape into 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Bring 4 cups vegetable broth, water, and tamari to a boil in a large pot. Carefully place patties into boiling broth; cover pot and return to a boil. Set lid slightly askew to vent steam and reduce heat to low. Continue simmering patties until firm, turning patties occasionally, about 1 hour. Remove pot from heat and set lid aside. Allow patties to cool in broth for 15 minutes before serving.
Basic Seitan - Wheat Meat (Vegan Meat Substitute), recipe