- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 serrano peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 whole cloves, bruised
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 (10 ounce) bag spinach
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Heat the ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the serrano, and continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Season with the cloves, garam masala, coriander, chile powder, turmeric, and cumin, cook for 2 to 3 more minutes to release the flavor.
- Stir in the beef and salt, cook for 3 minutes more. Add the tomatoes, coconut milk, and spinach. Bring to a simmer, then cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover, then stir in the lemon juice, and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened.
beef and spinach curry, Curries recipe