- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, juice drained and reserved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch beet greens and stems, roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup imitation bacon bits, or to taste
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- Drain the beans, but reserve about 1/4 cup of the liquid. Set the beans and reserved liquid aside.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until transparent and beginning to turn brown, about 8 minutes; stir in garlic, and cook just until fragrant, about 1 more minute. Stir in spinach and beet greens, partially cover the pan, then cook until the leaves wilt, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle on the bacon bits. Stir in the kidney beans with reserved liquid, and cook the mixture, stirring often, for about 2 more minutes. Mix in the red wine vinegar, and cook until the pan juices reduce and the greens are tender, about 5 more minutes. Season to taste with salt.
Beet Greens and Baby Spinach with Red Kidney Beans, recipe