- 2 (6 ounce) cans solid white tuna in water, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices seedless rye bread
- 8 slices ripe tomato
- 8 slices Swiss cheese
- paprika, for garnish
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- In a bowl, mix the tuna, mayonnaise, celery, onion, parsley, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the rye bread slices on a baking sheet, and broil 1 minute in the preheated oven, until lightly toasted. Remove from heat, and spread with the tuna salad. Place 1 cheese slice over the tuna salad on each piece of bread, layer with a tomato slice, and top with remaining cheese slices.
- Return layered bread to the preheated oven, and broil 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
best tuna melt (new jersey diner style), recipe