- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup mashed cooked sweet potato
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 Fresno chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 small crimini mushroom, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Process walnuts in a food processor until you have a coarse powder; add oats, flax seeds, cumin, paprika, salt, and ground cinnamon and process again until the oats are ground into a coarse powder. Put black beans and sweet potato into the processor bowl; process until smooth and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Stir egg, onion, Fresno chile, crimini mushroom, garlic, and soy sauce into the black bean mixture until smoothly integrated; shape into 6 patties.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Fry patties in oil until a deep-brown crust forms, about 5 minutes per side.
Black Bean and Walnut Burgers, recipe