- 3 cups water
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 2 smoked ham hocks
- salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Rinse dried peas thoroughly, sorting any tiny pebbles or other debris.
- In a large stockpot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil with black-eyed peas, ham hocks, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours, or until peas and ham hocks are tender. If ham hocks require further cooking, simmer in water in a separate pot until meat is easily pulled from the bone.
- Cool ham hocks and remove all meat from the bone. Stir ham into the peas, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed, and serve.
Black-eyed Peas and Ham Hocks, recipe