- 4 pounds beef short ribs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 2 leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups bottled Bloody Mary mix
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 20 small mushrooms, stems removed
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat an oven-proof Dutch oven, or wide, shallow pot with a lid over medium-high heat. Stir in the olive oil and butter until the butter has melted. Stir in the onion, and cook until the onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the leek, and continue cooking until the onion and leek are lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Brown the short ribs in the hot Dutch oven until browned on all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Once browned, sprinkle the reserved onions over the ribs, pour in the wine, beef stock, tomatoes, and Bloody Mary mix. Nestle the carrot chunks among the ribs. Bring to a simmer, then cover, and place into the preheated oven.
- Braise in the oven for 2 hours, then add the mushroom caps, recover, and continue cooking 1 hour more.
Bloody Mary Short Ribs, recipe