- 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 pounds beef brisket
- 36 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 cups Swanson® Beef Stock or Swanson® Unsalted Beef Stock
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, or more to taste
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Grate 1 teaspoon zest from the lemon.
- Heat the olive oil in a roasting pan over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until well browned on both sides. Remove the beef from the pan. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon pan drippings.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic cloves to the pan and cook until golden, stirring occasionally. Add the vinegar to the pan and cook and stir for 1 minute, scraping up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the stock, thyme and rosemary sprigs. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes. Season with black pepper.
- Return the beef to the pan. Spoon the stock mixture over the beef. Cover the pan.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours or until the beef is fork-tender. Baste the beef with the pan juices every 30 minutes. Remove the beef from the pan, cover and keep warm.
- Strain the pan drippings through a sieve into a medium bowl, reserving the garlic and discarding the thyme and rosemary sprigs. Spoon off any fat.
- Place about half the garlic cloves and about 1 cup pan drippings into a food processor or blender. Cover and process until the mixture is smooth.
- Heat the garlic mixture, remaining garlic cloves, remaining pan drippings, chopped rosemary, minced garlic and lemon zest in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat to a boil. Cook and stir until the gravy is thickened. Serve the gravy with the beef.
Braised Brisket with Garlic, recipe