- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 cups orange juice (no pulp)
- 1/4 cup brandy-based orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier®) (optional)
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook chicken thighs in the hot oil until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken thighs and set aside.
- Cook and stir onion in the same skillet until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic; cook and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, orange juice, orange liqueur, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes until thoroughly combined.
- Return chicken thighs to the skillet, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, 25 to 30 minutes.
Braised Orange Chicken, recipe