- 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bring about 1 inch water to a boil in a pot. Place the chopped broccoli in a steamer basket over boiling water, and steam 5 minutes, or until tender but firm.
- In a bowl, mix the Cheddar cheese, 3/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and mustard. Mix in 1/4 cup butter until evenly moist. Press into the bottom and sides of an 8 inch pie dish.
- Melt the 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion and mushrooms until tender. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour, half and half, 1 teaspoon salt, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Mix in steamed broccoli. Gradually stir in eggs. Transfer to the pie crust.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C), and continue baking 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Broccoli Cheese Pie, recipe