- 8 cabbage leaves
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice
- 2 (6.5 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons New Mexico red chile powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- Freeze the cabbage leaves or blanch them for about 3 minutes in a large pot of boiling water to soften.
- Place the ground beef, rice, tomato sauce, chile powder, garlic, onion, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Mix with your hands until combined. Divide the meat mixture into 8 portions and place the meat on the softened cabbage leaves. Roll the leaves up to form logs and tuck the edges under the logs.
- Place the tamales into a pressure cooker or slow cooker. Pour diced tomatoes with green chiles over tamales.
- To cook tamales in a pressure cooker: seal the lid of the pressure cooker and bring it up to full pressure. Reduce the heat to low, maintaining full pressure, and cook for 1 hour. Use the quick-release function or allow the pressure to reduce naturally.
- To cook tamales in a slow cooker: place the lid on the slow cooker and set it on High. Cook the tamales for 4 hours.
Cabbage Tamales, recipe