- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken-flavored vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey, or more to taste (optional)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion in hot oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, stir quinoa with the onion, and cook, stirring constantly, until the quinoa is lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Pour water into the saucepan; add bouillon granules, black pepper, and thyme. Bring the liquid to a boil, place a cover on the saucepan, reduce heat to low, and cook at a simmer until the quinoa softens, about 5 minutes.
- Stir carrot into the quinoa mixture, replace cover, and continue to cook at a simmer until water is completely absorbed, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir tomato and baby spinach into the quinoa mixture until the spinach wilts, about 2 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir turkey in the hot skillet until browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes; drain and discard grease. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir black beans with the turkey; cook and stir until the beans are hot, 2 to 3 minutes; add the quinoa mixture, stir, and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes more.
Carrot, Tomato, and Spinach Quinoa Pilaf with Ground Turkey, recipe