- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg, or to taste
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish.
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over low heat; cook and stir onion in the melted butter until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, until mixture just starts to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually pour milk into mixture, whisking into a smooth sauce. Cook until just simmering.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in half the Cheddar cheese until melted; sprinkle with pepper and nutmeg.
- Place steamed cauliflower in the prepared baking dish; pour cheese sauce over cauliflower. Sprinkle with remaining Cheddar cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and browned, about 25 minutes.
Cauliflower Au Gratin, recipe