- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 pound dry black-eyed peas
- 6 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt to taste
- Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Place the dried peas, water, onion, tomatoes, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and chili powder into a slow cooker, and stir to combine. Stir in the bacon and bacon grease, and set the cooker on High. Cook until peas are tender, about 4 hours. Season to taste with salt, and serve.
CB's Black Eyed Peas, recipe