- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- Bring the barley and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the barley is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; stir in the ground beef. Cook and stir until the beef is crumbly, evenly browned, and no longer pink. Drain and discard any excess grease. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper, oregano, basil, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until the bell pepper is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked barley, tomatoes, zucchini, and kidney beans. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the stove, sprinkle the cheese over the top, replace the cover, and let stand until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Cheddar-Topped Veggie Beef Skillet Dinner, recipe