- cooking spray
- 1/2 pound fettuccine pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 1 1/2 tablespoons margarine
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cubed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 10 tablespoons shredded Swiss cheese, divided
- 10 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 pinch dried thyme, or to taste
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. Stir in the fettuccine, bring back to a boil, and cook pasta over medium heat until cooked through but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir chicken strips in the hot oil until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken to a bowl, leaving pan drippings in skillet. Melt margarine in the hot skillet; cook and stir mushrooms, onion, and garlic in skillet until mushrooms have softened and given up their liquid, about 5 minutes. Stir red bell pepper into mixture and sprinkle with flour. Stir to coat and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Slowly mix chicken broth into vegetables, stirring to form a thick sauce; mix cream and milk into sauce. Simmer until thickened, about 1 minute. Mix 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, thyme, salt, and black pepper into sauce and simmer until cheese have melted and combined with sauce.
- Spread half the cooked fettuccine pasta into bottom of prepared casserole dish, top with half the chicken and half the cream sauce. Repeat layers once more and sprinkle remaining 2 tablespoons Swiss cheese, 2 tablespoons Cheddar cheese, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese topping is nicely browned, 25 to 30 minutes.
Cheesy and Creamy Chicken Tetrazzini, recipe