- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Italian cheese blend (Parmesan, Asiago, and Romano)
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place the squash into a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Simmer the squash until very tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain excess water. Cooked squash should equal 2 cups.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium-low heat, and cook the onion, garlic, and apple, stirring frequently, until softened and brown, about 15 minutes. Add butternut squash and chicken broth, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat just to a simmer, and stir in the milk and cheese blend. Stir until the cheese has melted and the sauce has reached desired thickness, 5 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
cheesy butternut squash pasta sauce, Pasta Sauces recipe