- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into bite size pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic, bell pepper, onion, celery and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the skillet and brown the chicken over high heat until it is golden brown and firm on the outside. Return the vegetable mixture to the skillet.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, cocoa powder, salt, hot pepper flakes and ground black pepper to the skillet. Stir for a few minutes to prevent burning. Add the tomatoes and beans, bring all to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover the skillet and simmer for 15 minutes, then remove cover and simmer for 15 more minutes.
Chicken Chili, recipe