- 1 1/4 cups boiling water
- 1 (8 ounce) package chopped dates
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. In a mixing bowl or small saucepan, pour the boiling water over the chopped dates. Set aside. Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then mix in the flour mixture. Add in the dates with the soaking liquid, and stir until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- In an another bowl, combine the chocolate chips, walnuts, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Sprinkle mixture over top of cake. and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving.
Chocolate Date Cake, recipe