- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 cups butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules (optional)
- 1 pound semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 16 whole almonds, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch springform pan and wrap bottom with aluminum foil.
- Heat sugar, butter, water, coffee, and chocolate in a 3-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth; remove from heat. Beat eggs in a separate bowl; gradually pour in the chocolate mixture, whisking constantly. The batter will be very thin. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Cool completely. Remove sides of pan. Cover cake with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap. Beat whipping cream and confectioners' sugar in a chilled 1 1/2 quart bowl until stiff. Garnish top of cake with whipped cream and, if desired, whole almonds. Refrigerate any remaining cake.
chocolate mousse cake, Chocolate recipe