- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 grated zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, nutmeg and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, toss cranberries with sugar; add to flour mixture along with orange peel and nuts. Mix lightly.
- In another bowl, beat together cream and egg; slowly pour into dry ingredients, mixing with rubber scraper until dough forms. Knead dough 4 or 5 times, being careful not to over handle. Divide dough in half. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Shape each half into a 6 inch circle. Cut each circle into 6 wedges. Place scones on lightly greased baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
Cranberry Scones, recipe