- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried marjoram
- In a saucepan, heat the tomatoes and cut them in small pieces. (If you use the fresh ones, put the tomatoes into a boiling bath until the peel cracks. Peel them and proceed the same way)
- Heat the 2 cups of milk in another saucepan.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper, sugar and 1/4 cup milk in a small dish until smooth. Stir the flour mixture into the simmering milk until it thickens. DO NOT BOIL.
- Stir the baking soda into the hot tomatoes. When the fizzing slows down, add slowly to the hot milk. Simmer a few minutes, adding basil, oregano, and marjoram to taste.
- Note: If you want a creamy cream of tomato, you will have to put your tomatoes through a sieve or a food processor before you mix them with the milk.
Cream of Tomato, recipe