- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 7 fluid ounces chicken broth
- 1 1/2 gallons water
- 2 pounds cabbage, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts milk, or more to taste
- 6 slices American cheese
- Melt 1/4 cup butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Cook and stir celery and onion in butter until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour chicken broth and water over the celery mixture; bring to a boil. Add cabbage, celery salt, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper to the pot. Cook soup until the cabbage is very tender, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour into melted butter until smooth.
- Bring the soup to a rolling boil. Stir a small amount of the hot soup into flour mixture until smooth. Return all flour mixture to soup. Pour milk into the soup, reduce heat to medium-low, and bring soup to a simmer. Add cheese and stir until blended into a thick, creamy mixture. Thin by adding milk if needed.
Creamed Cabbage Soup, recipe