- 3 cups fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup bacon bits
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 3 cups milk
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place the green beans into a pot with enough water to cover. Add the baking soda to the water; bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the green beans are nearly tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain the water from the green beans; set aside.
- Place the potatoes into a large pot with enough salted water to cover; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking until almost tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, but do not drain the water from the pot.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion and bacon bits in the melted butter until the onions are soft and translucent, 5 to 7 minutes; add to the large pot with the potatoes, along with the cream of chicken soup and milk; stir until smooth. Add the green beans. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the large pot over low heat and cook the soup at a simmer until hot and the flavors have melded, about 30 minutes.
Creamy Green Bean and Potato Soup, recipe