- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried, minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1 cup warm water
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 slices crisp cooked bacon, crumbled
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion in butter until translucent. Stir in flour until smooth, then gradually stir in 2 cups water, carrots, celery, garlic, salt, and pepper. Heat through, then stir in milk. Dissolve chicken base in 1 cup warm water, and pour into vegetable mixture.
- Place potatoes in slow cooker, and pour heated vegetable mixture into potatoes. Place bay leaf in pot.
- Cover, and cook 5 hours on High, or 8 hours on Low.
- Remove bay leaf. Puree about 4 cups of the soup in a blender or food processor, and then stir pureed soup into contents of slow cooker. Stir in cheese and bacon until cheese is melted.
creamy slow cooker potato cheese soup, Potato Soup recipe