- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk, or more to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch ground cayenne
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat until bubbling and frothy. Whisk in flour until it forms a smooth, golden paste, about 45 seconds. Pour in milk slowly, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir white beans into the saucepan. Add green chile peppers, onion powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper. Cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
Creamy White Bean and Green Chile Soup, recipe