- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups stone ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 2 green chile peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 7 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 13x9-inch pan.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and sugar, and mix well.
- Whisk together 5 eggs, 6 tablespoons melted butter, and buttermilk. Add wet to dry ingredients, mixing just until incorporated. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- To Make Stuffing: In a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons salt with the white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, onion powder, oregano, thyme, basil, and bay leaves.
- In another bowl, combine the minced onions, green onions, parsley, red or green peppers, chili peppers, and garlic.
- Melt 1 cup butter in a large frying pan. Add the spices and cook for a few minutes. Add the vegetables and cook about 5 minutes. Do not allow the vegetables to brown. Add the stock and Tabasco. Stir and cook 5 minutes more. Crumble the cornbread into the skillet and mix; remove pan from heat.
- Whisk 7 eggs and evaporated milk; pour into stuffing mixture. Return to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Place stuffing in a bowl; cool before stuffing turkey.
creole cornbread stuffing, Cornbread Stuffing and Dressing recipe