- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled sweet potato
- 1 1/2 cups 1/4-inch slices peeled carrot
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cups fat free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add shallots; saute in hot oil until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir sweet potato, carrot, ginger, and curry powder together in the saucepan with the shallots; cook and stir until just beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth over the vegetable mixture; bring to a boil, cover the saucepan, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Season soup with salt.
- Pour about half the soup into a blender no more than half full. Hold lid in place and pulse blender a few times before leaving on to puree. Pour pureed soup into a serving bowl and repeat with remaining soup.
Curried Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup, recipe