- 3 cups dry black-eyed peas
- 12 cups water
- 3 pounds smoked ham hocks
- 1 1/4 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sliced okra, thawed
- Pick over the peas, rinse them, and place them in a large Dutch oven or soup pot with the water. Bring the beans to a boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour.
- Stir in the ham hocks, onion, celery, salt, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf; bring to a boil, cover the pot, and simmer until the ham hocks are tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Stir in the okra and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and discard bay leaf before serving.
Down-Home Black-Eyed Peas, recipe