- Sweet Pastry:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 7/8 cup butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar (or granulated sugar, processed to fine texture in a food processor)
- 2 tablespoons minced lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place flour, butter, and confectioners' sugar in food processor; process until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add egg yolk and 1 to 2 tablespoons cold water, and process until mixture forms a dough. Mold dough into 2 flat shapes, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out pastry to 1/8 inch thick (3mm), and line a 9- or 10-inch (24 cm) tart pan. Patch any cracks with extra dough and chill the crust in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line pastry with foil, fill the foil with a little raw rice, and bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and rice, and continue baking until pastry is a light golden color.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together eggs, superfine sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cream. Do not over beat. Pour the mixture through a strainer. Place the tart pan on a baking sheet, and carefully pour the lemon mixture into the baked pastry crust.
- Bake until the tart is nearly set, about 20 minutes. The filling will be runny in the center, and will set when cool; don't over cook, or cracks will appear. Cool and serve.
down under lemon tart, recipe