- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream
- Prepare a piping bag with large open star tip.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a baking sheet.
- Fill a 3-quart pot with 4 inches water and 1 teaspoon salt. Add potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Drain; return potatoes to the pot.
- Cook potatoes over low heat until remaining water steams off, about 3 minutes. Let cool, at least 15 minutes.
- Place potatoes in a food processor and process until smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add butter, egg yolks, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Mix until just combined; spoon into the piping bag.
- Pipe potato mixture onto the prepared baking sheet into eighteen 2-inch rosettes with a circular motion, finishing with a small peak in the center. Refrigerate until slightly firmer, about 25 minutes.
- Mix egg and heavy cream together in a bowl; brush mixture onto the rosettes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
Duchess Potatoes, recipe