- 2 strips bacon, diced
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth, or more as needed
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 dash hot sauce to taste (optional)
- Cook bacon in a pot over medium heat until almost crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Add onion and green pepper to the bacon; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Mix in cilantro, garlic, and bay leaf; cook and stir until flavors combine, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir beans, chicken broth, vinegar, salt, pepper, and hot sauce into the onion mixture; cover and let simmer until the flavors combine, 10 to 15 minutes. Add more chicken broth if you would like the beans to be more soupy.
Easy Brazilian Black Bean Stew, recipe