- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggplants, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Place flour in a shallow dish. Dredge the eggplant slices in flour; tap off excess. Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the eggplant slices in batches until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- On each slice of eggplant, place a slice of tomato and a thin slice of mozzarella cheese. Place the next slice of eggplant halfway over the previous slice and continue layering with tomato and cheese until the bottom of the dish is covered. Arrange the eggplant so that half of the previous slice is covered by the next slice. Bake in the preheated oven until the cheese has melted, about 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped anchovies, garlic, basil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Stir well to mash and dissolve the anchovies; remove from heat.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven and immediately pour the sauce over the eggplant. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Eggplant Slices, Tomatoes, and Mozzarella, recipe