- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 2 cups lukewarm buttermilk
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Allow to stand until mixture is frothy.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add shortening and work until crumbly. Mix in yeast mixture and buttermilk. Store, well covered, in a greased bowl in the refrigerator. Don't worry if it is a little sticky; it will firm up as it chills. Dough can be stored up to 2 weeks.
- When ready to make rolls, take out amount needed. Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface, and knead for 2 or 3 minutes. Roll out, and cut rolls. Place in greased muffin cups. Let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
Fake Sourdough Biscuits, recipe