- 1 (1 1/2-pound) flank steak, fat trimmed
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 whole green onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons garlic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Score the flank steak by making shallow crisscross cuts on both sides.
- Place the olive oil, light brown sugar, red wine, soy sauce, onion powder, honey, green onions, garlic cloves, garlic vinegar, ground ginger, and garlic powder in a blender. Puree until smooth; pour mixture into a resealable plastic bag. Add the steak, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.
- Allow the flank steak to rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Remove the steak from the marinade, and shake off excess. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes; set aside.
- Grill the steak on the preheated grill until it starts to firm, and is reddish-pink and juicy in the center, about 7 minutes per side, basting often with the sterilized marinade. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 degrees F (54 degrees C).
Flank Steak Marinade, recipe