- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry French onion soup mix
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Combine mozzarella cheese, Gruyere cheese, cream cheese, sour cream, onion soup mix, and rosemary in the bowl of a food processor; process until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper. Spoon cheese mixture into the dish, smoothing with a spatula. Freeze until solid, at least 1 hour.
- Pour flour into a shallow dish. Beat 4 eggs in a small bowl. Pour bread crumbs into a separate shallow dish.
- Lift the cheese mixture out of the dish and, working quickly, cut in half. Cut into twenty 3/4-inch wide rectangles.
- Press cheese rectangles into flour, tapping to remove excess. Dredge in beaten eggs and press into bread crumbs until evenly coated. Transfer coated cheese mixture to a plate.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lower coated cheese mixture, 3 or 4 at a time, carefully into the hot oil; fry until cheese sticks are golden brown, about 1 minute. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
French Onion Dip Mozzarella Sticks, recipe