- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups fresh shelled green peas
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Cook the shallots until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Pour in the water and peas, season to taste with salt and pepper. Increase the heat to medium-high, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until the peas are tender, 12 to 18 minutes.
- Puree the peas in a blender or food processor in batches. Strain back into the saucepan, stir in the cream if using, and reheat. Season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
fresh pea soup, Vegetable Soup recipe