- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup water, or as needed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup French-fried onions
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound Havarti cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 300 degrees F (168 degrees C).
- Beat water, flour, Cajun seasoning, Italian Seasoning, cayenne pepper, and salt with a whisk in a large bowl until smooth. If batter is too thick, thin with up to 1/4 cup water.
- Grind French-fried onions and panko crumbs in a food processor until fine; transfer to a bowl.
- Stir about half the cubed cheese into the batter to coat; remove with a slotted spoon to the breading, and toss to coat.
- Carefully add a coated cheese cubes to the hot oil in small batches, and fry until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer fried cheese cubes to a paper towel-covered dish. Reheat oil to 300 degrees F (168 degrees C) and repeat process with remaining cheese cubes.
Fried Havarti Cheese Bites, recipe