- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, or more to taste
- 2 tomatoes, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow squash, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1 dash hot sauce, or to taste (optional)
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add 1/2 of the chopped tomatoes; cook and stir for 1 minute. Add garbanzo beans, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon olive oil; cover skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 10 minutes.
- Heat butter and remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a separate skillet over medium heat; cook and stir zucchini, yellow squash, and green bell pepper until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Mix remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice into garbanzo bean mixture; cover and cook for 5 minutes more. Mash garbanzo beans with a potato masher while skillet is still over heat until desired consistency is reach. Mix cumin, chili powder, and paprika into garbanzo beans; stir to coat.
- Layer garbanzo bean mixture, vegetable mixture, and remaining tomatoes onto each tortilla; top with Cheddar cheese and hot sauce. Fold opposing edges of the tortilla to overlap the filling. Roll 1 of the opposing edges around the filling into a burrito.
Garbanzo Bean and Veggie Burritos, recipe