- 1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- Combine brown sugar, 2/3 cup shortening, water, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in large bowl. Beat until well blended. Beat eggs into creamed mixture.
- In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda. Mix this mixture into creamed mixture until just blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Place cookie sheet in the middle of the oven. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 7 to 9 minutes, or until cookies are set. Do not over bake. Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
- To Make Frosting: Begin by combining evaporated milk, white sugar, 1/4 cup shortening, and egg yolks in medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove pan from heat. Stir 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, pecans, and coconut into the warm mixture. Cool completely, and frost cooled cookies.
german chocolate brownie cookies, recipe