- 1 cup light molasses
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a small saucepan, heat molasses and 1/2 cup butter until almost boiling. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Stir in baking soda, milk and egg.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, ginger, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in the molasses mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Spray preheated waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray. Pour mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot with chocolate sauce.
- To make chocolate sauce: In a saucepan, combine water, 1 cup sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and 2 tablespoons butter; stir until smooth.
Gingerbread Waffles with Hot Chocolate Sauce, recipe